The Phone Policy Has Never Looked Better!

Justin Pineda

Cell phones can now be used on campus.

After years of unsuccessful petitions to use cellphones, students were inexplicably given the right to freely use their cellphones on campus during lunch and nutrition.
Senior, Zoe Hall, is elated over the arrangement saying, “I’m happy that after four years of being in CCHS, we have the freedom to use our phones during nutrition and lunch, but I wish it happened earlier because it only benefits the seniors for a short amount of time.”
The Administration and ASB collaborated on the issue prompting them to survey teachers on the usage of cellphones on campus.  Over 75 percent of the teachers voted in support of a trial period allowing students being able to use their phones.
The administration planned for the trial period to coincide with the implementation of Centaur Plus on Feb. 8. Although the new phone policy has given students the privilege to use their phones outside of instructional periods, it still prohibits external speakers being used and students charging their phones in available outlets. It also states that phones cannot be used during passing periods, and the same rules apply in the classroom as they did before the new policy, it being that if a phone is seen or heard, it will be taken away until Friday.
The administration has also made it clear that if students show noncompliance to the policy, they will revoke it with no restraint, but if students treat the policy with respect, then the policy is most likely to be extended to a further date.
Although enthusiastic for the new policy, Assistant Principal, Kelli Tarvyd shared her concern, worrying about whether students will be able to detach themselves from their technology. “At our school we have a beautiful climate of communication. I’m concerned that students are going to stop talking to each other.” With her  concern, Tarvyd added that if there were to be an extension of the trial period, it would rely on whether or not the students respect the phone policy or not.
Although many students are relieved that the phone policy has gotten less restrictive, Algebra 2 teacher, Alex Davis says otherwise. Davis believes the policy is more prohibitive then before by saying, “I think the new phone policy has gotten more restrictive against these students. The language in the agreement states to have more restrictive rules in the classroom only to allow the usage of the phones at lunch.”
At the moment, the phone policy is set to end on the same day as Centaur Plus: April 23.