Breaking News

The Centaurian

The Student News Site of Culver City High School

The Centaurian

The Centaurian

Girls Lacrosse Earn League Champs

For the first time in at least 10 years, Culver City Girls Lacrosse Team finished the spring season as Bay League Champs with a 6-0 record. They played El Segundo, Beverly Hills, and Santa Monica all twice and won all of their games. They did start their season by losing 4 out of 5 non-league games but were able to improve to win the League.

The team has 22 players but hopes to continue to expand their roster because they currently have one varsity team and with more players they could also make a junior varsity. The girl’s team has two college commits: Raela London who is a D1 commit to Howard and Katelynn Naylor who is a D1 commit to Manhattan College.

The high school recently had a structure change to have 4 quarters that are each 12 minutes long instead of two halves. This change gives players a rest in between playing and keeps the game fast and active. It also makes games much more high scoring because of the increase in energy that players have after taking a break.

On the field there are three midfielders, four attackers, four defenders and one goalie per team. To start the game and decide possession there is a draw, where two midfielders (one from each team) put their sticks together and the referee will put the ball between the sticks. When the ref blows their whistle both players push up with their sticks and try to gain possession with the other midfielders that can then run in and help. After possession is gained defenders and attackers from either side can run past the restraining line and join the play.