Getting Rejected From Colleges Doesn’t Mean You’re a Failure

Getting Rejected From Colleges Doesnt Mean Youre a Failure
bymuratdeniz/Creative Commons

Dear Culver City High School seniors,

You may be frustrated after getting rejected from that dream school you wanted to get into. You may be upset, sad, confused, or scared about your future. But remember, you’re not perfect, and no one is, so there’s no need to compare yourself to others. College admissions are complicated, and we don’t exactly know how it works; only the college admission system does. And since admissions are getting more competitive due to more and more high school students applying, a lot will get rejected. Just know you are not alone.

If you happen to get rejected, there will be other schools to apply to. Just because a university isn’t as hard to get into as other ones doesn’t necessarily mean it’s worth any less. Many of the Cal State Universities have acceptance rates north of 90%, but that doesn’t mean you’ll earn any less of an education. Despite the prestige, there are numerous quality programs and courses that can net you a world class education, because after all, it’s not just about what college you go to but how well you do there. If you get rejected from a school, you may lose the opportunity to go to that school, but you gain your potential and opportunity to succeed in another university or trade school. Perhaps you’ll go to culinary school or community college, and that’s totally normal. If it’s your passion and it’s what makes you happy, then go for it. A university rejecting you because of a certain capacity they have doesn’t make your personality or identity. You make your own personality — no one else — so embrace it! 

Sincerely,

Hana Varsano