Lowitz Wins Close Election for ASB Pres

Bertrand Edwards

Kalia Lowitz was elected the 2024-2025 ASB President, the culmination to a competitive campaign season that featured a run-off election.

This year’s competition was intense, as it saw participation from students across all grades. During the week of April 22-26, four candidates, Anyah Francis, Steele Gagnon, Neha Kumar, and Kalia Lowitz, all ran hoping to be the new ASB president. They campaigned hard, displaying posters all around campus, using social media to get their message across in a fun and engaging way, and getting club endorsements. However, a runoff election pitting the top two candidates was required because none of the four candidates were able to receive more than 50% of the vote in the first round.

Steele Gagnon and Kalia Lowitz made it to the second round of voting. With one more week of campaigning left, both candidates vigorously tried to gain more votes and reach as many students as they could. Gagnon ran on the campaign of trying to better the communication between students and administration, while Lowitz ran on the campaign of increasing school spirit and having more fundraisers and activities.

Now that the election is over and the results are in, the focus is shifting to the campaign goals Lowitz made and how they are going to impact the student body. Lowitz is planning on “creating a more enjoyable high school experience for all Centaurs” by increasing school spirit, creating more “transparency between ASB and the rest of the school population,” and by adding “more food truck fundraisers which will financially benefit all groups on campus.” She also stated that she is working on opening up the snack bar and reinstating the school’s early Wednesday bell schedule. Lowitz has had much experience in ASB and leadership positions; she is the current Junior Class President and has been a part of the Associated Student Body for seven years, president and four-year member of the superintendent’s Student Advisory Council, and student representative for the Positive Behavioral Interventions and Support Program (PBIS). She hopes her vast background in student engagement will help her realize the goals she’s set out to bring the school back to life.