Senior Pranks: Remembered and Discouraged

More ambitious senior pranks at some schools often involve placing large objects on the roof

Gern Blanston

Kate Perry

As another school year draws to a close, the yearly epidemic of senioritis is sweeping the nation, prompting seniors across the country to organize senior pranks ranging from cute to destructive.
Kelli Tarvyd, Assistant Principal for Discipline, warned that Culver students would face charges for involvement in any type of senior prank, describing pranks as “actions unbecoming of Centaurs”.  In a letter to seniors this year, Principal Lisa Cooper reminded students that “there is no acceptable ‘senior prank'”.
Students who do participate in pranks will not be allowed to attend graduation.  The school may also call CCPD in the case of more serious pranks that involve destruction of property.  “We’ve had students arrested in the past,” Tarvyd said.
CCHS is equipped with many cameras and security patrols 24 hours a day, according to Tarvyd.
“There has been damage to school property in the past,” said Counselor Tim Walker.  “And that means that bans on senior pranks have to be harsh.”
Despite the ban on senior pranks, some CCHS students have organized pranks in the past, and often suffered consequences.
The two most memorable, said biology teacher Judith Sanderson, occurred many years ago.
One year, students released several chickens and a rooster on the front lawn.  The birds took hours to catch.  “I still remember a security guard running past the window chasing the last rooster,” Sanderson said.
Another year, students and teachers entered campus to find that frozen fish had been strung from the trees on the front lawn.  As the day wore on and the sun came out, the fish “started to stink,” Sanderson said.
Administration hopes that students will refrain from pulling pranks this year.
“We want Centaurs making wise choices at all times,” Tarvyd said.