Help the Centaurian raise funds for our print edition!

Kavanaugh Confirmation Outrage

Justice Brett Kavanaugh was recently confirmed to the Supreme Court in spite of the sexual assault charges made by Dr. Christine Blasey Ford and the subsequent hearing and FBI investigation. Senators voted 50 to 48 to confirm him, largely with Republicans for and Democrats against.
Many, especially victims of sexual assault, were outraged at this decision. Even before Kavanaugh was confirmed, numerous women and men went to Washington to protest by recounting their experiences. Many more sexual assault survivors had their stories published in prominent publications such as the Washington Post and the New York Times. These people will most likely try to vote out the congressmen who voted for Brett Kavanaugh.
Many male conservatives were also energized by the Kavanaugh hearings, agreeing with Senator Lindsey Graham’s statement that the accusation and the hearing were a “charade.” Some men are afraid of being falsely accused of sexual harassment and risking the loss of their jobs as a result, and are under the impression that this entire situation is what President Trump labeled as “a very scary time for young men in America.” These people will most likely vote in support of the congressmen who voted for Brett Kavanaugh.
While it is not possible for the general population to vote for Supreme Court Justices, people can still vote for representatives. If you are 18 and registered to vote, vote on November 6th. If you are not 18, register to vote so you can take part in the democratic process in the future. If you have a family member that is unsure about whether they should vote, tell them to exercise their right as a US citizen and allow their voices to be heard. The current problems that people have with government will not change if the people that perpetuate these problems continue to remain in office.