Earlier AP Exam Registration Starting 2019-2020

Starting this 2019-2020 school year, the College Board has required all students to register for their AP exams between October 14 – 25, 2019. Many people have questioned why the College Board has moved up the registration dates from early March, and the company has responded with very informative answers.

In the 2017-2018 school year, the College Board had 40,000 students register in the fall rather than the spring for the AP Exam.  When these students took the exam, the College Board witnessed “an increase in scores of 3 or higher across multiple groups”, with the groups that were affected most being students that are traditionally underrepresented in AP courses.  Overall,  underrepresented students saw their scores increase 12%, compared to whites and Asians having a score increase of just 5%. Low income students’ scores increased by 20%, compared to moderate/high income students’ scores increasing by 4%.  For exams related to STEM courses, women’s scores increased 14%, while men’s scores increased by 5% .  The College Board believes that the increase in test scores of 3 or above was a result of students being committed to taking the AP Exam, causing them to take the exam seriously and study more.

Though the registration dates for the AP exams have changed, most of the AP Exam process has still remained the same.  The exams will still take place in the first two weeks of May, and scores will be released on the usual dates.  Additionally, students that qualify for a fee waiver (at CCHS, students who qualify for Free or Reduced Lunch) still pay the same price, $5.

Culver City High School students can pay for the AP Exam during nutrition, lunch, and after 6th period at the Guidance Office window or online through the Centaur Web Store.  Exam payments after the October 25 deadline, during a short window from October 28 – 30, cost $120 per exam, and any exam payment after that period will cost $140 per exam.  If a student chooses to prematurely cancel their exam or not take their exams in the spring of 2020, then they will have to pay the College Board a $40 cancelation fee. If any students have remaining  questions about the AP Exam, they can contact Asst. Principal Jonique Burton or her secretary Arely Magellanes.