Game, Set, Match!

On November 25, 2019, a doubles tennis team from Culver City High School made it to the regional championship. While they didn’t come through as champions, sophomore Evann McDowell and senior Sierra Chabola proved their skill and determination as a pair.

Since the Centaurs placed first in Ocean League, they were invited to play in the CIF Regionals tournament. Their combined league and postseason record going in was 45-4 sets.

In the Ocean League tournament, they faced two Santa Moncia teams, beating one 6-0, 6-2 (sets), and the other 6-2, 6-0 after having a bye in the first round thanks to their record in the regular season. Their initial performance was exceptional, and they kept up the fight in their third and final match against El Segundo. They did, however, lose the match.

Though they didn’t make it to the finals, they beat out difficult competition and placed in the top 15 of the region. They were even asked for interviews by the local newspaper for more details about their experience. It’s safe to say that Sierra’s last season at CCHS was an amazing one, and that the next couple years are sure to hold more achievements for Evann.