AVPA Film Shares Plans for School Year

(Photos courtesy of AVPA Film)

Culver City High School’s AVPA programs offer unique programs for artistic and creative students. One of these programs is CCHS’s Department of Film, which gives students the opportunity to learn the basics of and develop skills for film making, as well as meet new people and make new friends. AVPA Film Department President, Julia Rottenberg, spoke to the Centaurian about the goals and upcoming events for AVPA Film this year.

How are things going so far in AVPA Film?

Rottenberg: “Things are going well — we have our largest company ever this year, which has been super exciting, but also a little difficult to figure out the logistics of classes, equipment, etc. We’ve had some really cool guest speakers, including Greg Finnin who’s been a prop master on Oppenheimer, Avatar, Interstellar, and the Mandalorian, and in a couple weeks, we’ll have a writer/executive producer for Family Guy, Pat Meighan.”

Anything for people to look forward to?

Rottenberg: “We’re doing all new challenges this year and are gearing up for our second challenge, the “Commercial Challenge.” It’s pretty self-explanatory, but basically people will make a commercial — funny or serious, for any product — real or invented. We’ll have a showcase on January 26, where people can see these challenges (and a couple more) in the Frost.”

The winter showcase will also show more entertaining student films so that is something to definitely look forward to from AVPA film. Rottenberg also said, “the highlight of our year is our ‘Sony Films,’ which are our biggest productions and screen at Sony Studios in April,” which will give the film students an opportunity to showcase their hard work. 

Students can contact Ms. Gable ([email protected]) for more information about AVPA film and upcoming events.