Breaking News

The Centaurian

The Student News Site of Culver City High School

The Centaurian

The Centaurian

Parade and Party Kicks Off Year of Centennial Events

This past weekend, students and active members of the Culver City community participated in celebrating Culver City’s 100th Anniversary. The festivities kicked off with a march from Overland Avenue to Main Street. The march exhibited all of the various clubs, organizations, and students that make up the Culver City community.
Organizations at the parade ranged from the Community Emergency Response Team to California’s 467th Masonic Lodge. Clubs like the LGBT Club and AVPA, which are offered at Culver City High School, are good ways to make friends and be involved. The Centennial parade also gave students a chance to interact with members of the community, students like track and field runner Whitney Anagu, who felt “it was really fun just to be out here with everybody from Culver City.”
The parade stopped in downtown Culver City,  where various shops and stands had been waiting for the oncoming paraders. Shops like Timeless Treasures, which actually is part of a charity league, donated money to certain charities using the store profits. After the parade, the opening ceremonies began with speeches from prominent political figures both in and around Culver City, many of whom previously attended the opening of a time capsule from 1992, during Culver City’s 75th anniversary.  
 After the opening ceremonies, the block party began. The block party consisted of various performances by local artists as well as numerous stands where people could sample a variety of foods from all around Culver City.
The centennial truly captured the spirit of Culver City, not only as a city, but as a whole community. Often times Culver City is overlooked by those comparing it to the glamour and size of its neighboring cities, but none could deny that the block party of the century was a day to remember. It was a nice surprise to see community members join together and deliver a parade that went above and beyond the expectation. As band member Vicente Valdebenito so eloquently put it, “[We] thought it was going to suck but it turned out a lot better than [we] expected.”