Fake Election Real Results

Students line up to register before voting

This past Tuesday, while the real presidential election was transpiring in the United States of America, Culver City High School was having its own Mock Election. Starting from extended lunch, students flocked to the registration setup next to Hall 1. Laptops were set up with dividers in between with a survey that ASB had made. Freshmen and Sophomores voted in Hall 1 and Juniors and Seniors just outside of it. 25 percent of the students and 24 percent of the faculty voted on the President, Vice President, the CW measure, and Propositions 56, 62, 63, 64, 66. In the end, 77 percent of the student body voted Hillary Clinton and Kaine for President and Vice President and 13.5 percent voted for Donald Trump and Michael Pence.
The results of the election gives commentary on the way the country is divided in politics. The result was similar to the California votes, with 61 percent of voters for Clinton and 33 percent for Trump. But in the country overall Clinton got 48 percent of the vote and Trump 47 percent. However, Trump still won the presidency due to winning the most electoral votes. California has perpetually voted Democrat for several years, while a lot of the country swings back and forth. And in many elections, the vote is very close,with a difference of only a few percent deciding the winner. This polarization of the country means that is hard for anything to get done in politics, but that cannot be solved by mock elections.
The mock election also helps students become acquainted with the democratic process. There were information sessions on all the of the Propositions that were voted on the week before so students could be informed voters. It is important for voters to be educated so that they do not cast their ballots blindly and vote against their values by accident. But it also very realistic in the fact that only a minority of the student body voted. While this election did not count for anything, it is very important to be in the habit of voting. If not, there is no way to have a voice in politics. Then, people who are elected and propositions that are not based in American values can get win by the popular vote because a person did not contribute to the democracy they live in. Like it says on the school “I Voted” sticker, voting makes freedom count. It is ridiculous to have that go to waste.

Student displays poster showing their political beliefs

Students shows poster with pros and cons of Proposition 64 around the lunch patio