Breaking News

The Centaurian

The Student News Site of Culver City High School

The Centaurian

The Centaurian

Help the Centaurian raise funds for our print edition!

Centaurs Eye CIF Title

Centaurs Eye CIF Title

Culver​ ​City’s​ football​​ ​team,​ although​​ ​coming​ short​ of​​ ​an ​​Ocean ​​League​ ​title,​ has​​ ​its​ ​eyes set​ ​on​ ​a​ ​greater​ ​prize;​ ​a​ ​CIF​ Southern​​ ​Section​ ​Championship.
​​Despite​ their​​ ​historical ​success​ ​in football, ​​Culver​ hasn’t​​ won​ ​CIF ​​in​ ​nearly​ ​40​ ​years.​ ​However, ​this​​ ​year’s ​team​​ ​is​ ​looking​ ​to change​ ​that.​
The​​ ​journey​ ​to​ ​the​ ​title​ began​ ​last​ ​week​ ​against​ ​Heritage​ ​Christian​ High​​ School,​​ ​as the ​Centaurs​​ won​ ​24-8​ ​in​ ​the​ ​first​ ​round​ ​of​ playoffs.​ Even​ without​ ​senior​ quarterback​​ Jonathan​ Martin, ​the Centaurs​ played​​ ​an​ ​all-around​ great​​ game,​​ and​​ came​ out​​ ​with​ the​​ ​win. ​​Due ​to​ Martin’s absence​ ​the​ ​entire​ ​team​ ​needed​ ​to​ ​step​ up ​and​ did​​ ​so.
​​Culver,​ ​ranked​ ​#1​ ​in​ ​CIF​ ​Division 11,​ ​has​ ​constantly​ ​dominated​ ​on​ ​both​ ​sides ​of​​ the​ ​ball​ ​all ​​season,​ ​particularly​ ​in ​​recent​ ​weeks. Since​ ​their​ ​loss​ ​to​ ​rival​ ​school​ ​Lawndale,​ ​the ​10-1​​ Centaurs​​ ​have​ ​not​ looked​ ​​back, ​by​​ outscoring​ opponents ​​162-8​ in​​ ​that​ 4​​ ​week​ ​span, ​and​​ ​look ​better​​ ​than ​​ever.​ ​
With​ ​plenty​ ​of​ ​momentum, Culver​ City​​ will​​ ​face​ ​Coachella​ ​Valley​ ​High​ ​this​ Friday​​ in​​ ​the​ ​quarterfinals​ ​of​ ​CIF​ ​playoffs.