Breaking News

The Centaurian

The Student News Site of Culver City High School

The Centaurian

The Centaurian

The Reputation of Taylor Swift

If I am being completely honest, I was very skeptical of Taylor Swift’s new album, reputation. I have been a Taylor Swift fan since fifth grade, growing with her, but I wasn’t sure I was ready for this big of a change.
Turns out, I was worried for no reason.
With the release of this album’s first single, “Look What You Made Me Do”, I wasn’t ready for the country-pop princess to produce an all pop album. The beat of her first single automatically reminded me of early 2000’s Gwen Stefani, whom I appreciate, but soon the repetitive chorus was too much. I hoped that the rest of the album would have a little more creativity.
Reputation holds up in that regard. Even with the pop rhythms of reputation, Swift’s songwriting still shines through with lyrics like “I want to wear his initials on a chain around my neck/chain around my neck/not because he owns me/but ‘cause he really knows me” from her fourth single “Call It What You Want.”
Swift’s sixth studio album with Big Machine Records proves that artists can grow up in Hollywood and that it’s not an easy path but it’s doable. More than any album that proceeds it, reputation highlights adult relationships from friendships to romantic ones and adult moments from reputation to New Year’s Eve. Swift is growing with her music, as are her fans, and it is extremely inspiring.
My favorite song on the new album is “Don’t Blame Me” with the beautiful and sophisticated chorus: “don’t blame me/love made me crazy/if it doesn’t, you ain’t doing it right/lord, save me, my drug is my baby/I’ll be usin’ for the rest of my life.” The metaphor extends throughout the song and really comes home in the bridge.
Swift’s songwriting is unique, especially in a musical world where it seems that everyone has songs written for them. Her commitment to her music and to her fans is exceptional in today’s quickly spinning world.
You won’t find reputation on Spotify or Google Play Music any time soon because Swift believes in musicians rights, but it is well worth the fourteen or fifteen dollars to buy the album on iTunes or buy a physical copy at your local store.
Reputation breaks all stereotypes that Taylor Swift has ever been accused of and it is worth the listen.