Farris's Farewell

Kira Furuichi

First, comes the shaved head. Then, the beard. And, finally, the bowtie. The only Centaur with these key characteristics is the one, and only, Principal Dylan Farris. After 13 years at CCHS as a teacher, administrator, and four years as principal, Farris announced his resignation on October 15 to CCHS students and families.
Farris was known as “The Coolest Principal” by students, who cited his tangible swagger and unique leadership style. “Dr. Farris knew how to relate and talk to the students,” senior Samantha Coleman said. “Plus, he’s really chill.”
Farris’s knowledge, along with his enthusiastic leadership style, helped push students and staff to create a plan for “Success for All,” which he originally distinguished as his proudest accomplishment at CCHS. Under his plan for success, Farris acknowledged the importance of a 100% graduation rate, college preparedness and a zero-tolerance for failure.
The commitment and dedication Farris demonstrated towards the success of CCHS students and staff did not go unnoticed. “He is a person who really knew the culture of the school, knew the students, the type to, you know, push for change if it meant helping students to create a better learning environment,” math teacher Jerod Dien said. After Farris’s departure, he hopes CCHS will continue on its strong path towards “Success for All,” with CCHS developing into one of the top high schools in California, with a 100% graduation rate and more students attending four-year universities.
As for Farris’s future, he will be accepting a position at El Segundo Unified School District as the Executive Director of Human Resources beginning October 27.
Culver City High School has taught Farris an incredible amount, which he hopes to implement in all his future endeavors. “My experience at CCHS has helped me grow to understand people, and given me the tools to help others be successful,” Farris said. As a long-term goal, Farris aspires to be a superintendent for a school district, with leadership qualities similar to CCUSD’s superintendent Dave LaRose.
In Farris’s departure from CCHS, he will miss the incredible relationships he formed with the students, staff and administrators, as well as constantly being immersed in the youth culture. “We are very sad about his leaving, but excited for him,” secretary JoNellia Guinn said. “He cannot be easily replaced.”
Lisa Cooper, who has been Asst. Principal of Attendance and Activities for the past several years, will assume the role of interim principal, while DuBois McMillan, who has been teaching ROP web design, will fill Cooper’s vacated position.
By the end of the interview, Farris’s opinion had changed: “My proudest achievement is being principal of this amazing school,” Farris said. “I want the staff to remember to believe in the potential of every student, and I want the students to remember to always believe in yourself and have big dreams; do not underestimate yourself.”