Signing Day for CCHS Athletes

Ella Zare, Staff Writer

On March 22, 2022, seven of Culver City High School’s top student-athletes gathered in the Robert Frost Auditorium to officially commit to playing sports in college. Friends, families, and teachers came together to support these students in the largest signing event of the school year.

Evann McDowell, a four-year varsity softball player has committed to Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in New York. Coming into a starting role as a freshman, McDowell now “serves as a role model for our underclassmen,” said Coach Peacock. She was integral to the team’s advancement to the CIF semi-finals during the 2020-2021 season.

After four years on varsity, Kylee Owens has signed with Prairie View A&M in Texas to play volleyball.

Larissa Andrick will play lacrosse at Oberlin College. At the signing, she thanked Coach Rogers. “The past four years playing with you have been some of my best high school experiences,” said Andrick. Two-year girl’s lacrosse captain, Sydney Shin, will also be playing college lacrosse. Deemed “honest and dedicated” by her coach, she will bring this dedication to Cal Lutheran University.

Boy’s lacrosse will also see two athletes off to college athletics: Walker Penchansky will play for Messiah University, and Darius Safavi-Abbassi will play for Guilford College. “I’m proud of everything you’ve become, on the field and off,” said Coach Chabola. The Culver community agrees, excited for these athletes’ futures.

Lastly, Mystic Waring will be the only student-athlete attending a Division One college, running track at San Jose State. And, after four years as one of the top track athletes in California, he is more than deserving. “I’m thankful to not have had this journey solo,” said Waring.

The class of 2022 has an impressive lineup of soon-to-be college athletes, and all of CCHS wishes them luck in the pursuit of higher education coupled with athletics.