Breaking News

The Centaurian

The Student News Site of Culver City High School

The Centaurian

The Centaurian

New Course at CCHS: AP African American Studies

AP African American Studies is a new Advanced Placement course that is being offered at Culver City High School during the 2023-2024 school year. For more than a decade, experts have been working with the College Board to create the curriculum, with APAFAM now being offered as a pilot class at select schools this year.

The course aims to legitimize African American history as a necessary subject matter in American schools and to acknowledge the underrepresentation of Black students in AP courses.

According to the College Board, “AP African American Studies is an interdisciplinary course that examines the diversity of African American experiences through direct encounters with authentic and varied sources.” Students examine the backgrounds and cultures of Black Americans through music, documentaries, songs, and other sources.

Many students at CCHS have had a positive learning experience in the class, which is taught by Ms. Kimberly Young. They describe APAFAM as a socially engaging class that makes students think. “It’s a really open and inviting environment to be in because it’s a space where everyone feels okay to share their opinions as we tackle themes of prejudice, bias, and racism,” said senior Keira Mohammed.

Although it is still in its pilot stage, students affirm that AP African American Studies is a worthwhile addition to their schedule.

An anonymous student said, “I would 100% recommend this class to other students. The great thing about AP African American Studies is that it’s available to multiple grade levels, so even if someone can’t take it right now, they’ll have another chance later.”