Breaking News

The Centaurian

The Student News Site of Culver City High School

The Centaurian

The Centaurian

Sophomores Win the Duck Hunt in the Centaur Olympics

Bertrand Edwards

The sophomores won the Rubber Duck Hunt competition in the first round of the Centaur Olympics, which began on Nov. 16. Students were tasked with finding up to fifty ducks hidden around campus, and the top three grades who found the most ducks earned points for their class. The sophomores found 26 out of the fifty ducks hidden around campus during the Duck Hunt, earning 600 points for their grade. The juniors are in second place at 350 points and the seniors and freshman tied for third place with 75 points each.

This is the first event out of many, for a year-long competition between all of the grades. At the end of the year, the grade with the most total points from competing in these minigames will win the prize, and of course, bragging rights.

Raelie Loredo, a Special Event Coordinator for ASB, volunteered to lead the Class Competitions. Loredo, along with ASB member Anyah Francis and the Class Competition committee have done most of the planning.

“ASB wants to create fun activities to foster school spirit, and it was agreed a giant annual class competition would be best to have a continuous legacy of inter-school connectedness,” Loredo said. “Our new principal, Dr. Thomas, encouraged us greatly, even buying the entire student body class shirts.” 

The next event will be a household items drive hosted by the Culver Needs Club for the Culver Closet from Dec. 4 to Dec. 8. They will be accepting basic toiletries such as shampoo, deodorant, and toothbrushes and toothpaste, among other items listed on the ASB instagram. The grade that donates the most items will earn the most points for their class. There will also be details on a Winter Fest soon and there may even be another event similar to the Duck Hunt. So for freshmen, juniors and seniors, there are still plenty of events to earn a a chance at becoming the champion of the Centaur Olympics.