Welcoming CCHS’s Newest Addition to the Math Department, Mr. Durkan

Mr. Durkan is a new teacher this year at Culver City High School who teaches Algebra 2 and Pre Calculus. 

In his early years, he attended CSULB where he earned his Bachelor of Arts in Political Science. He then attended LMU for his Secondary Math Credential and received his Master of Arts in Urban Education and Policy. Before CCHS, Mr. Durkan ran SAT and ACT prep courses for 5 years. He then began teaching math at Skyline High School, a high school in Oakland California, where he taught for 10 years. When he was there, he was also a math coach, instructional coach, and the ninth grade team lead.

“Seeing the inequities in our education system inspired me to become a math teacher”, Mr. Durkan said when asked why he wanted to teach math. “I experience the power a math teacher can have on a student’s view of themselves in the STEM field and I want to provide all students a positive experience with math that uncovers their genius.”

So far, his favorite thing about CCHS are the students. They “have been so welcoming, helpful, respectful, funny, and hardworking.” Outside of school, his favorite hobbies include spending time with family and friends, cooking, playing or watching basketball and soccer, and reading.