Breaking News

The Centaurian

The Student News Site of Culver City High School

The Centaurian

The Centaurian

Help the Centaurian raise funds for our print edition!

SATURATION II Review

(Disclaimer: you should probably listen to this album, and preferably its prelude, SATURATION, before reading this)
SATURATION II is the sophomore album by South Central-based rap collective BROCKHAMPTON. They have an extremely diverse lineup: various rappers, singers, producers, a graphic designer and a photographer all blending together seamlessly to create a musical amalgamation that calls themselves “an All-American boyband” (they have 15 members in total, in case you were wondering). This variety of talents shows in their music: from the infectious g-funk (or gangster funk, typical West Coast rap) of the opening track GUMMY to the soft melody on the closing track, SUMMER, BROCKHAMPTON’s varying influences (and abilities) are evident.
This group combines multiple genres to create beautiful music, with each song being represented in bold, all-caps titles. Separately, the members are, at the very least, very skilled, with most (if not all) of them consistently bringing exceptional performances to the table: examples of this are Kevin Abstract’s catchy hooks, Ameer Vann’s wry verses, JOBA’s falsettos, bearface’s mesmerizing singing, etc. However, their real talent lies with all of them being perfectly integrated onto a track, and SWEET is a great example of this: all of the members come prepared with amazing performances and not one of them is under or overused.
BROCKHAMPTON is ahead of the game; there is a lot of potential in this group and I would definitely recommend keeping an eye on this boyband.